The Largest Pashtun Community
The Utmankhel (Pashto: اتمان خیل) is a Karlani Pashtun tribe living in Pakistan. The Utmankhel are mostly living in Bajaur District (Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas) Malakand District, Mohmand District Sub-division Prang Ghar & Lower Dir and also with considerable numbers in Batkhela Swat, Mardan, Swabi and Peshawar. Utmankhels speak the same dialect of Pashtu called Yusufzai Pashto /Peshawari /Northeastern Pashto and belong to Sunni Islam. Utmankhel also live in Loralai and Zhob districts of Balochistan province and with a large number in Afghanistan.
MAJOR CLANS OF UTMANKHEL
There are about 10 or more major clans of Utmankhel tribe. Here is an alphabetical order list of major clans.
(i) Alizai (ii) Aseel (iii) Biazai (iv) Gorai (v) Ismail Khel (vi) Mandal (vii) Miangan (viii) Muttakai (ix) Peghozai(x) Sanizai (xi) Shamozai (xii) Stanadar and other hundreds of sub-clans/branches.
Utmankheli is a separate constitution and legislation of the Utmankhel tribe which is passed through Jirga system in non-written form to set a way of life. And no member of Utmankhel tribe is considered above it until or unless it surpass or oppose Islamic rules. If a government lawmaker participates in any Jirga of Utmankhel tribe, he’s informed that Utmankheli as a constitution guides in such a way. e.g if two villages are fighting on one hill claiming to be theirs. It will be decided in such a way that if the rain water from the hill flows one of the two village, that will be claimed as part of that village. In such decision making becomes easy.Or if animals belonging to one family destroyed the crops of some other family and jirga is resolving the issue. So for this Utmankheli suggests that if it happened in winter, the owner of the animals will compensate. And if it happened in summer, the owner of the field was ought to take good of his crops. And there are so many legislation as these which suggest the life style for Utmankhels and is termed as Utmankheli.
MAJOR NATIVE AREAS
- Aseel → They live in Barang and Targhao
- Bimmarai→ They live in Totai and Sama Ranizai (Malakand Agency)
- Boot Khel→They live in Ambar and Laman / Prang Ghar (Mohmand Agency)
- Gorai→ They Live in the Panjkora bed near Talash opposite Sharbatai
- Mandal >→ They live in Mandal Bajaur, Gosam Munda, Shaikhan Timergara, Moranay.
- Muttakai→ They live on the northern slopes of the Koh-i-Moor mountains
- Peghozai→ They live in Totai and Sama Ranizai (Malakand Agency)
- Sanizai→ They live in Totai and Sama Ranizai (Malakand Agency)
- Shamozai → They live in Lar Tras, Bar Tras, Bandagai, Kulala, Sharbatai and near Agra.
HISTORY OF UTMANKHEL
Disclaimer: Utmankhel.com's articles contains shared information which has collected from different sources and people. We welcome everyone for corrections and updates.